Friday, August 29, 2008

Mom then and now

So I have been thinking lately since my kids started school about how my life has changed over the past 10 years. I've been trying to get my business up and going and it has taken a lot of time away from other things and as I sat working the other day with Preston watching his third run of the Dora DVD, I compared my parenting with four kids to my parenting with just one and how times have changed.

I remember rocking Maggie to sleep every night and letting her stay up as late as we did because I wanted to spend every waking moment with her. Now I put my kids in bed at 9:00 and tell them that if I see them again or hear them, they are grounded. It's my time and I am done with them.

I used to take Maggie everywhere. We even continued to take her to the movies with us until she was about 2. I shopped at the Mall for hours with her in the stroller, we went out to eat in real restaurants and actually enjoyed it. Now I live for the moment the babysitter gets there and thinks it's a real treat when I actually get to go to the grocery store by myself or go into the mini-mart to get my drink. I only shop at stores with carts that have buckles (and that won't last much longer) and our yummy dinner at a resaurant, well that doesn't exist any more. If they don't have drive-thru or a play structure we just don't go.

I remember doing craft projects with maggie. Paint and glitter was not a big deal. Now if they even think about getting out the crayons and paper I stress out. Just one more mess to clean up. Can't they just do that stuff at school.

Anyway, I probably sound like my kids drive me crazy, and trust me sometimes they do, but I guess we all just adjust to changing times. I would love to hear what things have changed with you since your families have grown bigger.

4 comments:

mamapickle said...

I am the same way. I used to teach Ethen all the letters and even states on the map. Now I am lucky to sing the ABC's. It is almost like my mind doesn't remember how to be a mom to little ones. I think part of it must be the # of them around and part must be because I am stretched to be able to keep the older ones questions answered. Thanks for keeping it real here in blog world

Moira said...

Well you're better than me girlfriend...come 8 p.m. bedtime routine starts for this momma.
And instead of crying that my youngest was going to be in school all day I was doing cartwheels and yelling "Yay....it's MY time"
I used to let Travis have play dough out all the time...now if they so much as say the word "Play Dough", my skin just crawls.
But you know what? Some how we all still survive....lol

Unknown said...

Hi there, long time no talk. I just heard that your coming here to Sassymei. Pretty cool. I love your banners. I felt the same way too. I am now trying to hold on tight though. Caleb is going to kindergarten next friday and while I am excited for both of us this part of my life is over and so I am sad too. I have lots of fun things planned for us in the afternoon for the two of us until the rest come home.
Anyway I hope all is well with you.

The Dillon 6 said...

I am SO with you!! I think Laurel got the best of us...and the others get the rest of us. ;) Actually, I think that Dana gets a good chunk of our lives, too. I think it's pretty normal.